Wednesday 21 November 2018

My new wildlife pond

When I got my new allotment in April this year there was already a pond there. I actually got the allotment because the council wanted to give it to someone who likes wildlife and will appreciate the pond and not fill it in.
When I saw the pond the first time I knew I will have to remake it once I was on top of the rest of the allotment as the existing liner was leaking and the pond was not very nicely done with large proportions of the plastic liner showing and no proper shelves for planting. The pond was also full of tadpoles, so I had to wait until they had grown into little froglets and dispersed from the water into the surrounding allotment site.

The old pond in April 2018 after taking on the new allotment
Tadpoles in the old pond


The old pond in May, with the large Iris in the middle
In September the time had finally arrived, the new allotment was under control and I had some time off work to remake the pond. I had bought some quite expensive liner (Firestone) with life-time guarantee and a thick underlay. I had also accumulated a huge pile of stones which I collected myself from various places all over the South of England. The pond plants I ordered had arrived as well. I went for mainly native non-invasive plants such as marsh marigold, mares tail, flowering rush, water forget-me-not and water mint with a few non-invasive non-native water plants such as dwarf bulrush and small water irises.

I first removed the old pond including the liner and underlay which was actually just cheap black plastic with a tarpaulin underneath, no wonder it was leaking. I consigned the huge variegated Iris from the old pond to the compost heap as it looked like on a mission to take over the world, or failing this at least to take over the new pond. I then dug the new outline of the pond (roughly 2m by 3m) which was considerably larger than the old pond outline.

The outline of the new pond dug out

In went the underlay followed by the pond liner which was quite soft and pliable and easy to mold to the shape of the new pond. In the bottom went a bucket full of gravel. I then started filling the pond with part rainwater and part water from the water trough on the allotment. I had to use watering cans as no hose is allowed on the allotment site. I only filled the pond up half way so I could start putting the plants in. I also started to stack the stones around the edge. The stones did not go straight on the pond liner but on a second layer of underlay but this time on top of the liner to protect the liner from the sharp edges, especially of the larger stones. I also used several bags of gravel to give the plants some substrate to root in and to cover the liner.

The liner goes in
The water lily is in and some gravel
More plants are in position and gravel filled in
Stones are stacked around the edge and more water filled in

I slowly worked my way up to the edge, stones, plants, gravel, more water until all plants were in, the edge was concealed under stones and the water was filled in nearly to the top. I let everything settle for a few hours and then cut off the liner to leave about 20 cm edge which I could cover with soil and more stones so nothing was visible.

Nearly finished, just the liner needs to be cut around the edge
Finished!

In a matter of hours after finishing the pond the first dragonflies appeared to inspect the new habitat. A few days later two different species of dragonfly (Common darter and Southern hawker) were laying eggs. I was very excited! There were also water boatmen and pond skaters appearing as well as water beetles and pond snails.

Common darter dragonflies arrive

Southern Migrant female laying eggs at thee edge of the pond

A week after finishing the pond the water turned green for a few days but cleared up soon. Since then the water is crystal clear and if you look closely the pond is brimming with all sorts of tiny water animals such as water fleas, Cyclops and many more. I sometimes just sit at the edge of the pond and stare into the water to watch all the little things going about their business.

Algae are turning the water green

Larger wildlife have discovered the pond as well. Birds are coming during the day to have a drink and foxes and a hedgehog are visiting the pond in the night. I have also spotted a few frogs and a newt but their time will come in spring as the old pond was always full of frogs in early spring and I expect the new pond will be to their liking as well.

A greenfinch has come for a bath and a drink

A fox drinking from the pond (above) and two foxes visiting (below)


A hedgehog is having a look as well



Having a larger pond was always on my wish list of things to have as I always found ponds fascinating. As a child I could spend hours pond dipping, bringing home all sorts of creatures which had to be accommodated in my various glass tanks spread all over the house (my poor mom!). I normally kept these water creatures for a week or so to watch them and then let them free only to fill the glass tanks with new things. I even had a microscope to look at the tiny water animals and algae I found in the pond in my moms garden.

The pond in October

I am now looking forward to what next year will bring, how everything develops and what wildlife the pond will attract. Watch this blog for more updates.

The pond in September

Update: Have a look here to see how the pond has developed in it`s first full year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Wildlife Allotment blog

 I have started a new monthly blog about my wildlife allotment a few years ago for the Hardy Plant Society. I you are interested you can rea...

Popular Posts